November 16, 2020
Members of the OC Community,
As you may already be aware, on Sunday, Nov. 15, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services issued an emergency order in response to the continued increase of confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths throughout Michigan. While the Olivet College community has done an amazing job to mitigate the spread of the virus, we must abide by the order.
Transition to Remote Instruction, Effective Wednesday, Nov. 18
All classes will move to remote learning.
Residential Students May Remain on Campus
Student housing will remain open and residential students may remain on campus. While you may do what you believe is in the best interest of your own health, the benefits of remaining on campus include the following:
- You will continue to have the necessary internet connectivity, computer lab access and IT help needed to participate in classes remotely, complete class assignments and complete your final exams.
- To-go meal service will continue uninterrupted for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Remaining on campus through final exams will serve as a way for you to isolate and monitor for COVID-19 symptoms before heading home to your family for the extended winter break.
No room and board adjustments will be made for students who choose to return home prior to Nov. 25, the official end of the semester.
Library, Learning Commons and Computer Labs – Open
The library, learning commons, and computer labs will remain open through the end of the semester to provide support in your learning.
Campus Events and Athletics – Suspended
- Effective immediately, all in-person campus-based events, including intercollegiate athletics and student events, are suspended.
- Effectively immediately, all campus fitness facilities and gyms are closed.
- If you have any questions about athletics or general campus events, please contact your coach or the Office of Student Engagement.
What You Need to Do
This virus is not easy to beat. While we cannot guarantee a COVID-19-free campus, each of us has the responsibility to help stop the spread. As part of the OC CARES Pledge, we all agree to:
- Wear a mask at all times when not in our private living space.
- Physically distance at least six-feet, indoors and outdoors.
- Complete the required daily health and temperature check using the OC CARES ClearPass app.
- Report if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms or come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Faculty and Staff
- Faculty may use their assigned classroom or work from their office without students present to ensure adequate course delivery during this time.
- Staff that can work remotely from home should do so. If you have transitioned back to campus and do not have an essential role in the health, safety or residential living areas of the College, please discuss with your supervisor whether you should transition to remote work during this three week period.
For your health and the health of others, please observe health protocols and avoid behavior that puts you and others at risk. Let’s show others what it truly means to be Olivetians.
Steven M. Corey, Ph.D.